How to Increase Concentration Power While Studying: Tips to Improve Concentration and Attention During Exams:
Tips to Improve Concentration: Concentration is the ability to focus one’s thoughts in a given direction for a continued period of time. Concentration requires attentiveness, positive intention, and attenuated emotions. The various entrance and recruitment examinations that are held regularly test the aspirants in many ways. The candidates have to show a great deal of discipline and determination to succeed in these tests. The professional nature of the examinations require career aspirants to study and prepare in a thorough manner without any room for complacency.
Indians in general are very good at various subjects from humanities, arts, and literature. The prosaic nature of the study material is not too difficult to master once the necessary language skills are acquired. Studying for long hours has to be pursued to master the above mentioned subjects. Engineering, Scientific, and other exams which test quantitative, logical, mathematical, and numerical skills require a different approach to prepare properly. Intensity has to be replaced by interest, and suitable concentration skills have to be displayed.
The following instructions can be read for developing the powers of concentration to succeed in exams-
Focus And Pay Attention:
The human brain receives constant input in the wakeful state. The eyes see and the ears hear whether we like it or not. We cannot shut them down unless we go to sleep. In addition, the chattering mind comes up with incessant thoughts. In such a scenario, the ability to focus seems like a big challenge. But the gift of awareness and consciousness makes it possible albeit with some involvement and effort. The involvement has to be active and participatory in nature. The effort has to be directed with proper channelization of energies.
You Have To Become A Co-Pilot:
If you observe a professional driver with experience, you will see that he does everything necessary to keep the car moving without any effort. He steers the wheel, applies the brakes, plays music, checks the dashboard, etc., with the greatest ease. This is because he drives in an auto-pilot mode. He does it automatically because of experience gathered over a long period of time.
Unfortunately, We cannot apply this in an academic situation unless we are referring to typing and shorthand skills. Even these technical skills cannot be done in autopilot mode and require considerable attention because the nature of work is different. Studying and concentrating for long hours can only be done using various mental faculties with full awareness. The aspirant has to be aware and notice has to be taken by preparing notes.
Do Not Succumb To Distractions:
In the modern technology driven world, there are too many electronic distractions. There is also a lot of useless information floating around in the cyberspace. These appliances and devices cannot be avoided, so they have to be managed. A very useful way of overcoming the distractions posed by TV, computer, laptop, tablet, playstation, and other gadgets is through time management. Specific and limited amount of time can be allotted for their usage particularly during weekends. Avoidance without substitution does not usually work. Substitute work should be active in nature like gardening, intellectual discussion or debate, online philosophical chat, writing, memorizing the grocery list, etc.,
Unleashing The Powers Of Mind:
The mind is made up of both conscious and subconscious parts. The conscious part makes awareness possible whenever there are sensory inputs. The subconscious part works in the background continuously and in silence. Conscious efforts and activity help in orienting oneself in the right direction. They still have to be performed with discipline and dedication. Eyes and ears have to be kept clean and healthy, understanding has to be delineated from rote reading and memorization, information has to be written down and organized, memory skills have to be strengthened, and revision has to be taken up in a timely fashion as part of conscious efforts to become more attentive. However, True power of concentration cannot be cultivated only through conscious efforts.
Meditation And Mindfulness:
Subconscious mind has to be activated, strengthened, and channelized to display greater powers of concentration. Intensive study requires planning, but also commitment in terms of long hours of study involving complex reading material and problems. Meditation techniques, Martial Arts, Yoga, Tai Chi, etc., can all be taken up to enhance the efficiency of the subconscious parts of the mind. These activities drive away dullness and usher in greater emotional balance. All meditation is primarily directed at becoming comfortable in one’s own skin and increasing mindfulness. Some people are born with this trait, while others have to work and cultivate it.
- Open both ears and eyes while sitting for lectures.
- Read out aloud if it helps you concentrate better.
- Study in silence without background noise, TV and Music blaring, people talking, vehicles zooming past, etc.,
- Understand before memorizing.
- Information has to be structured in a proper manner.
- Use heading, sub headings, bullet lists, indentation, tabulation, graphics, and even animation in a judicious manner.
- Complex material has to be summarized before being committed to memory.
- Practice writing and typing the answers and relevant notes to improve concentration.
The following tips can be applied while appearing for the examinations to avoid distractions and retain concentration –
- Focus on the subject or section you have decided to answer.
- Pay close attention to numbers and formulae in the question paper to avoid erroneous reading.
- Make a quick count of the number of questions in each section as you proceed. This can be done before answering the questions.
- Pay no heed to other examinees and get into the selfish mode for the duration of exam.
- Make a conscious effort while answering. Write actively and confidently with no scope or room for guesswork.
- Do not waste time if the question is too complex and beyond your understanding. Make a mental note and you can come back and answer it at the end if there is time.
- Take some deep breaths and do some quick stretching of hands and legs to ward off lethargy at the end of each section.
- Answer to the point with relevant details using the logical half of the brain for appropriate questions.