Popular Entrance Exams After Class 12th Science, Arts, Commerce
Students who complete their 10th pursue Intermediate, 10 + 2, or equivalent academic course at State and Central Schools/Colleges/Universities. The students opt for Science, Commerce, or Arts streams based on their interest, aptitude, and career choices. Higher education in the form of degrees, diplomas, accredited certifications, etc., are required to earn a satisfactory living and a professional career. The students have to apply and appear for entrance exams to earn a seat in a college or university of higher learning. The popular entrance exams after class 12th that are available for students from different academic streams are listed below –
Popular Engineering Entrance Examinations –
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main – The CBSE conducts the JEE Main examinations for students who seek admissions into UG Engineering courses such as BE, B.Tech, BArch, B Planning, etc.,. Meritorious qualifiers can pursue Engineering in IIITs, NITs, IIITM, IIITDM, State & Central funded institutions, self-financed deemed universities, etc.,. The minimum qualification is Class 12th passed in PCM stream. The JEE Main exam can be attempted thrice by students.
- Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Advanced – IITs conduct the JEE Advanced exam for Engineering UG courses at 23 IITs and ISM Dhanbad. Aspirants who appear in the merit list of IIT Main exam are qualified for this test. Successful candidates can study Bachelors, Bachelor-Masters, or Integrated Masters in Science, Engineering, Pharmaceuticals, and Architecture.
- Vellore Institute of Technology Engineering Entrance Exam (VITEEE) – Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) conducts the entrance to enrol meritorious candidates into B Tech Courses. Required qualification to appear for the test is 12th Class passed in PCM. Students can pursue professional engineering education at VIT with 5000 engineering seats for the taking.
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission Test (BITSAT) – Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS) conducts this entrance for admission into engineering courses at BITs campuses in Hyderabad, Goa, and Pilani. Eligibility criteria for BITSAT includes 75% marks in 12th standard with PCM. Online application process commences in December and the exam is scheduled to be held in May – June.
Popular Medical Entrance Examinations –
- NEET-UG – National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Exam for Undergraduate- CBSE conducts this online entrance examination at national level for admission of eligible applicants into MBBS/BDS courses. Students who completed 12th PCB are eligible to appear for this test. Medical and Dental colleges across India accept NEET scores for admissions.
- AFMC – Armed Forces Medical College Entrance Test – A highly competitive examination for students who passed 12th with PCB and English in their first attempt. 130 seats are available to students who wish to pursue MBBS course. The course is for a duration of 4 years and 6 months followed by internship for 1 full year. Students have to work as commissioned officers in armed forces medical services based on available vacancy.
- CMC MBBS Entrance Exam – Christian Medical Colleges in Vellore and Ludhiana conduct their own entrance exams separately to admit students into medical and dental courses. Admissions are based on merit and the exam is also known as UG- Admittance Written Test.
Some State Common Entrance Examinations –
- MHT-CET Maharashtra Engineering Entrance Exam – Maharashtra Government’s State Common Entrance Test Cell conducts the exam for admission into engineering colleges for UG courses. Students with 50% marks in 12th are eligible to participate in this test. The exam is held during the month of May with registration commencing in March.
- Karnataka CET- Karnataka Examinations Authority conducts this test for admission of meritorious students into Engineering, Medicine, Architecture, Pharmacy, and other technological courses. Qualified students with merit can pursue bachelor’s degrees in Dentistry, Forestry, Homoeopathy, Agri Biotech, Alternative Medicine, Veterinary Science, Animal Husbandry, etc.,
- KEAM Kerala- Kerala schedules a common entrance test, Kerala Engneering Agriculture Medical Entrance Examinations (KEAM) to offer admissions to eligible applicants at college in state for admission to medical, engineering, agriculture, veterinary, architecture & fisheries courses.
- EAMCET Andhra Pradesh- JNTU conducts this exam to admit meritorious students into engineering, agriculture & medical courses. Students who pass 12th or 10 + 2 or equivalent qualification are eligible to appear for the EAMCET.
- COMED-K- The UG entrance is conducted under the supervision of The Consortium of Medical Engineering & Dental College of Karnataka (COMED-K) in Bangalore . Students who appear and qualify with merit in this entrance can pursue UG courses at 14 medical, 25 dental & more than 150 engineering colleges with around 20,000 seats under the aegis of Karnataka Professional Colleges Foundation Trust (KPCF).
- UPSEE- Uttar Pradesh State Engineering Entrance Exam – UP’s Central Admission Board takes responsibility for this exam. The entrance is to test eligibility of students for degree level engineering courses. Students who passed 10 + 2 or 12th with mandatory subjects Maths and Physics are qualified to appear for this test.
Popular Defence And Marine Examinations –
- NDA & NA entrance Exam- UPSC conducts the entrance test for students who wish to serve in defence forces. Qualification for the exam is 12th or equivalent with mandatory Maths and Physics for Air Force and Navy Cadet seats. Meritorious students receive 3 years training at the academies of Army, Navy, and Air Force across India.
- Indian Maritime University Common Entrance Test- The national level entrance exam provides students to pursue Marine Programmes at bachelors level. Eligibility for students to appear for this test is 12th with 60% in PCM. Courses include 3 year BSc in Nautical and Maritime Sciences, Ship Building and Repair. 4 year BTech is in Marine Engineering.
- Indian Navy B.Tech Entry Scheme- The Indian Navy conducts this entrance examination to provide opportunity for students to pursue BTech programme. Students should have a minimum qualification of 12th standard to appear for the test.
- Indian Navy Sailors Recruitment- The entrance test is for gauging eligibility of students to pursue basic training at INS Chilka followed by more rigorous and professional training. Students require 12th standard as qualification with proficiency in the following subjects – Mathematics and Physics with Chemistry or Biology or Computer Science.
- Indian Army Technical Entry Scheme (TES)- The Indian Army recruits 12th standard students after eligibility in this test. Students require PCM background to appear for the test, qualify, and pursue technical education with the Indian Army.
Law Entrance Examinations –
- CLAT- The Common Law Admission Test is conducted every year to judge eligibility of students for Bachelors and Masters programmes in Law. The UG and PG courses are offered at 14 National Law Universities. The onus of holding this test every year is shared among these universities.
- LSAT- The Law School Admission Test is conducted for students interested in pursuing law courses at various participating colleges such as Amity, RGSOIPL, ITM Gurgaon, Faculty of Law Dehradun, UPES Dehradun, IIT Kharagpur (3 yr. LLB), etc.,
- AILET (All Indian Law Entrance Test)- Students with 12th qualification can appear for this entrance to measure their eligibility for Bachelor Degrees. The courses which can be pursued by successful examinees include B.A and LLB (Hons.)
Hotel Management Entrance Examinations –
- NCHMCT JEE- The National Council for Hotel Management & Catering Technology conducts this national level entrance exam for admissions into 3 yr. B.Sc. in Hospitality and Hotel Administration. NCHM and IGNOU collaborate to offer this degree to students who acquire eligibility in the joint entrance exam.
- PUTHAT – Punjab University Tourism and Hospitality Aptitude Test is conducted for Indian students for Bachelor programmes. The university offers two courses to students who acquire eligibility through this test – BHMCT (Bachelors in Hotel Management and Catering Technology) and BTTM (Bachelors in Tourism and Travel Management).
Fashion Technology Entrance Examinations –
- NIFT Entrance Examination (National Institute Of Fashion Technology Entrance Examination) – The exam is conducted by NIFT, which is the premier institute for fashion design in India. The UG courses offered to students who acquire eligibility in this test include Design Bachelors in fashion, textile, knitwear, leather, accessories, and fashion communication.
- AIEED (All India Entrance Examination For Design) – ARCH Academy of Design conducts this entrance for admissions into 4 year UG PG courses in fashion industry. The online exam is held between the months of April and August. The offline centre-based exam is scheduled for the month of June. Aspirants are offered admission based on their academic merit, AIEED score, and performance during counselling session.
- NID Entrance Examination (National Institute Of Design Entrance Examination): It is an eligibility test for students to pursue profession design courses at bachelor level. 4 year B Des courses in various disciplines are available to students who pass this test in merit.
- AIFD(Army Institute Of Fashion Design) – Written Admission Test (WAT) is conducted to admit students into 3 year BSc in Fashion Apparel Design and 2 year diplomas in fashion, design, and retail management.
- SOFT (School Of Fashion Technology Entrance Examination) – SOFT conducts the online test for students to get admitted into B. Des. and NIFT assisted UG courses in Fashion and Apparel Design.
Language Entrance Examinations –
- EFLU Entrance Examination – English And Foreign Language University Exam- The university located in Hyderabad conducts the entrance for admission into UG courses. Students who passed 12th can acquire eligibility in this test to study B.A.(Hons) in languages such as English, German, French, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, etc., B.Ed. in English is also available at degree level for interested aspirants.
- JNU Entrance Exam – Students who completed 12th can apply online or send postal applications for this entrance exam conducted by JNU. The eligibility test is for students interested in pursuing B.A.(Hons) in Foreign Languages.
Some Other Examinations –
- SSC Exam- This examination is conducted by SSC for students who completed their higher secondary or 12th class. Clerical, Assistant, and Data Entry Operator positions are offered to eligible candidates.
- CPT For Chartered Accountancy- The Common Proficiency Test is conducted by the Council of the Institute Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) for students interested in becoming Chartered Accountants. There are 3 levels of study under ICAI including CPT (Common Proficiency Test), IPCC (Integrated Professional Competence Course), followed finally by 3 years of practical training under the supervision of a practising CA.