Do’s and Don’ts Of Group Discussion – Mistakes to Avoid During GD
In the following article we will be discussing about the Do’s and Don’ts of Group Discussion. As we all know group discussion and personal interview are the ultimate rounds for the final selection of the students thus Group discussion is the stepping stone to get more closer to your dream job. We all know that group discussion plays an important role to get job to your dream company as GD evaluates a candidates on certain personality traits and skills that are required for a manager.
In this article we will be discussing more about the do’s & don’ts of GD:
Do’s in Group Discussion:
- Be a good listener
- Think and organize the matter what you are going to say.
- If you have doubts always seek clarification
- Be as natural as possible. Be yourself.
- Try to start the discussion so that you catch the attention at the very start of the discussion
- In group discussion all wants to hear from you but be polite while delivering the speech
- Be careful about your body language as it will speak more than you
- Before attending any group discussion burnish your language, it should be clear and fluent
- At the beginning only ask about the meaning of the topic properly if not getting in the first time ask once again .
- Be assertive
- Always be polite: try your level best that you should not use phrases like :`I disagree’ or `I strongly object’. Bettr if you can say: “I beg to differ with you” or “`I would like to share my views on”
- Listen calmly to others’ opinions and do not be aggressive.
The interviewer will check the participants
- Presence Of Mind,
- Abilities of Problem-Solving,
- Ability To Work with a Team
Don’ts in Group Discussion:
- Do not try and be someone you are not
- Don’t lose sight of the goal of the discussion.
- Never lose your temper and never attack anyone on a personal front. Your attitude should be cooperating not conflicting
- Do not use high vocabulary
- Don’t lose your calm temper if anyone says anything you object to.
- Never take anything personally here
- Not knowing is not a problem , do not try to bluff
- Do not criticize on religion
- Never use technical language while speaking
- Do not criticize foreign policy of India
- Don’t give any decision better to arise a question
- Don’t start speaking until you have clearly understood and analyzed the subject.
- Do not show surprises.
Here are some of the tips to crack Group Discussion:
- Increase your general knowledge it will help you in active participation
- Before speaking Understand and analyze the topic mentally
- Be clear about your viewpoint
- Your tune should not be loud but it should be audible and clear
- Remember the points of effective communication — Clarity, Conciseness, Completeness, Confidence, Courtesy and Correctness
- Most important thing during delivering the speech is that keep eye contact with everyone.
- Be open-minded responsive to ideas from other people
- Always maintain your calm attitude
- Listen to all criticisms calmly and think about the point raised once then place your view
- Before attending any Group Discussion, try some mock test so that you will be aware of the process of the Group Discussion.
All the Best!!!